It might be the most wonderful time of the year, but Christmas can also be stressful and manic if you have a house full of people to feed. Here are our 10 top tips for perfect festive catering….
1. Never, ever cook an unpractised recipe on Christmas Day – unless of course you want to tear your hair out/sweat a lot/lock yourself in the larder with a bottle of sherry and cry.
2. Delegate to your sous chefs AKA children. Everything is tastier with team work.
3. Peel and prep all vegetables the night before. You’ll be thankful in the morning.
4. Keep the kitchen as tidy as possible and take the bins out regularly – the feeling of cleanliness will make everything a lot less stressful.
5. Use a timer – don’t guestimate or else you’ll get carried away with present opening and end up with tough turkey and mushy sprouts.
6. Warm the plates.
7. Make the bread sauce weeks in advance and freeze it (just don’t forget to thaw it out on Christmas Eve).
8. Add lardons to sprout dishes.
9. Have a glass of champagne while you work to maintain sanity!
10. Use the left-over meat for curries and sandwiches, while the vegetables will make a great base for soups.